Follow by Email

Sunday, March 13, 2011

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

I knew this would eventually happen.

Everyone says that you go through this. But just because everyone says it doesn't mean I am any less frustrated by it.

The first few months were so much easier. I lost 17 lbs without even noticing a difference.

But now I am faced with something worse than the cookie monster. And that is the PLATEAU phase.

I do not seem to have lost any weight these last few weeks. I detailed everything I ate, double checking everything from carbs to saturated fat. I workout 4-6 times a week (30-40 minutes of cardio/1 hour of weight training). But yet the weight is not coming off.

I won't lie to you. My change in eating and exercise with lack of results has really shot my confidence and motivation. If this was something that had happened to me before I would have simply quit. But since I know that I have a goal quitting is just not an option.

So I did what any rational person would do. I googled it.

The most widely used quote in my search was one I learned back in high school. Benjamin Franklin said that "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Oops.

Our bodies are incredibly adaptive and as my body tries to sustain an equilibrium I was left feeling like I had done something wrong.  But the truth is I just need to do that thing that I hate: CHANGE.

I found two articles that were very helpful.


and


So, what am I going to do to break this?

*I will be adding acai berries and nuts as a snack.

*I will be trying the zigzag method. Tricking my body on the amount of calories I take in. So if I cut 200 calories from Monday I will add those to my calorie intake on Tuesday. I will still eat the same amount of calories for the week.

*I am going to look for an exercise class to take. Perhaps a zumba or a kickboxing class?? If I can't find one I will dedicate two of my workout days to a fun dance videos, pilates or yoga. These are normally not in my routine.

 *I am on an equal amount of carbohydrates and proteins. I will alternate weeks between low-carb/high protein and high carb/low protein.

I am hoping that these little changes will get me through the next phase. Since they are based around variation I am hoping my next plateau will be either further down the road or less likely.

I have not given up hope!! I know that I will reach my goal soon enough.

The month of April is quickly approaching and so it means that the time for fasting will start for me soon. Every year since my junior year of high school I have done the fast of Daniel.

“In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.” Daniel 10:2, 3

The fast basically comes down to a 21-day vegan diet with slightly different restrictions. It sounds daunting but I have enjoyed doing it all these years. My challenge to you all, even those who are not religious, is to join me in the fast.

Our bodies are a temple and we are supposed to care for them and treat them that way. This is a great way to either jump start a diet, break a plateau, or even just to give your body a break from all the bad toxins we put into them.

Find your own solidarity. When I get hungry I journal and/or pray. I thank God for all that he has blessed me with and even though I am hungry I am blessed with the option of being able to eat.  Fast for spirituality or for those who suffer. Fast to understand. Or simply fast for health.

Foods to include in your diet during the Daniel Fast:
All fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, legumes and quality oils.

The only thing that you drink is water.

You can also include tofu, soy products, vinegar and seasonings.

Sunday, April 3 I will begin the fast. If you have questions or concerns about it, please, feel free to contact me.

Happy Eating!!

Current weight: 208 lbs
Workout Song: Outkast, Hey Yah

1 comment:

  1. Along your weightloss journey you will have many plateu's that's why you have to keep your body on it's feet, literally. If you keep doing the same thing your body will adapt and you will get bored and start slipping. So far, what have been the results of your changes? Has it helped?

    ReplyDelete