Follow by Email

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality.

Hello, my name is Selina and I am a foodaholic.

I guess I never realized how addicted to food I was before. But now that I am in the process of changing my lifestyle I find myself in urges of "I NEED THAT" and nobody needs an ice cream cone or a chipotle steak bowl. I am teaching myself to control those urges.

I will tell you one thing for sure, FOOD IS NOT THE ENEMY. Food is a friend--- an essential. We need sodium, carbohydrates, protein, and even FATS. In order to function and survive we must have them. SO, simply cutting this or that will not work. You must learn what to put in your body, especially if you are working out.

My final semester of undergrad I survived off the Taco Bell menu. Cheesy Bean and Rice burrito, at a buck eight-five, what else could a girl want?

Well let's look at what that $1.85 did to me:

Serving Size 1 burrito (227g)
Calories from Fat 180
Calories 470
Total Fat 20g
Saturated Fat 6g  
Trans Fat 1.5g
Cholesterol 15mg
Sodium 1400mg
Total Carbohydrate 58g
Dietary Fiber 6g
Sugars 5g
Protein 13g

LOOK AT THAT SODIUM INTAKE!!! The body requires only 500 milligrams of sodium each day. The American Heart Association recommends no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium per day, but most of us take in more than 4,000 milligrams every day. Add a few more burritos in there and I was on the perfect path to high blood pressure and heart disease (all of which run in my family)!

This burrito is filling for a while…and then three hours later I was hungry again. But I had wasted nearly 1/3 of my daily intake on ONE burrito.

I have to look at what I eat. I can exercise 8 hours a day (I don't exercise 8 hours a day :), but if you are not eating the proper things you will not lose weight! And don't forget about the skinny-fat people. You may not look it, but on the inside you are killing your body.

It's taken me 22 years, but I get it. I get the devastation that I was causing my body by ignorance. Ignorance, in this case, is not bliss.

Let's look at some goals.

In order for me to loose weight I have the following:

Calories: 1,440 - 1,790
Carbohydrates: 190 - 275
Fats: 38 - 66
Protein: 60 - 148

Water is essential. Food. FINE. Make your excuses. But what excuses do you have for not drinking 8 glasses a day? Just do it. You need proper hydration. You will notice in your workout that you can go longer and harder.

Eat all the salad you want. But make it fun. Throw in some turkey or chicken. Raisins and strawberries add that little sweetness to it. Salad does not have to be boring. I can make a huge salad and not even crack the 300 calorie mark AND I feel full.

Find the right carbs. Complex Carbohydrates are your friend. They are harder to digest and so your body is working to take them in. I start every day with a packet of oatmeal. Eat some oatmeal 30 minutes to 1 hour before you workout. It will give you a good amount of energy.

TAKE YOUR VITAMINS. I have cut back on a lot of meat and such. So to pick up the slack I have a multi-vitamin pack and a protein shake everyday. Protein is so good for you. It helps build and repair the muscles that you workout AND makes you feel fuller. So if you are getting the full amount of protein you are less likely to want to binge later.

*To make your shake thicker and a little flavor buy instant jell-o pudding boxes. Preferably the sugar free, but any flavor you want. 1-2 tablespoons and you get yourself a delicious treat. My favorite is a strawberry crème! I then add mango and orange juice (instead of milk) and it is SO GOOD! Have this 30 minutes to 1 hour after you workout!

Plan your meals. It WILL  help.

Be honest with yourself. If you feel the need to hide what you eat from other people, than you probably shouldn't be eating it. If you feel guilty about eating it,  than you probably shouldn't be eating it.

This, my friends, is not a diet. It's a lifestyle. You will feel so much better. You will notice that you are becoming more positive and that your life has structure. These are all things we already know. We just need to accept them.

Remember that you can help other people by helping yourself. Inspiring others towards happiness brings you happiness.

Current weight: 209lbs
Workout Song: The Academy Is "About a Girl"

No comments:

Post a Comment